Thursday, December 27, 2007

Inability to Post

It's bizarre... thoughts occur to me on a pretty regular basis that are at least somewhat witty, insightful, or otherwise of some interest and I think to myself "I could really flesh this out into something to post", and yet -- when I actually sit down at the computer I have nothing whatsoever that I can think of that is salient.

Perhaps this is in part an outgrowth of the fact that I don't have a solid sense of what I want this to be, if anything at all. Some possibilities:
  • If this were a "for everyone I know" blog, it would be filled with cute stuff about the kids, and generally innocuous musings. This would be nice for looking back years hence, but utterly stultifying, and not the least bit indicative of my internal self.
  • If this were "deep thoughts" or truly was a "Diary of a Mad Man" -- the garbage that's in my head brought to life -- it would definitely also be stultifying in its own way. I would never use my own name, nor the names of my children. I would need to be circumspect regarding any details of my life -- prior places of schooling, employment, and so on, not to mention personal circumstances such as location and interests.

On the one hand, I believe this is indicative of a life that is deeply at conflict with itself. Shouldn't I be able to write freely to anyone and everyone who might read it? Perhaps not. Even the most honorable and upright people may wish to keep a private diary without having any shame of it.

Woohoo Celtics win again! There's clue #1...

No comments: